Sunday 28 October 2018

Building An Analytics-Centric Organization

Analytics Organization

Analytics Organization

Analytics Organization- When I left the MIT Sloan School of Management in 1993, little did I know it at the time, but I was armed with the knowledge and mindset of a paradigm that would become known as Big Data. For the record, I owe tremendous credit to professors at MIT such as Steve Graves and Erik Brynjolfsson whose insights and perspectives left an indelible mark on my thinking. Although I could not fully articulate all of the details of what Big Data meant at the time, I did have an unwavering conviction that the lifeblood of a high-velocity organization would eventually be based on real-time analytics of and execution on mass quantities of data. And, to take it one step further, Big Data would revolutionize how companies operated and would drive the creation of whole new businesses (and perhaps even industries).

When I left MIT in 1993 for Intel, anyone could clearly see that computational power was advancing at a staggering rate and that the World Wide Web along with the broader infrastructure of the Internet were going to play a central role in this revolution. I knew that whatever “it” was – was going to be very big. But in all honesty, in my wildest dreams, I could never have predicted how big this digital transformation would become and how it would continue to evolve.

One afternoon in the mid-90’s, I wrote down a vision of an operating model for a corporation that would employ vast amounts of data and automated algorithms to enable the company to autonomously optimize and run its operations in real-time: integrating across operational domains that encompassed day-to-day tactical decision-making, operational planning and management and the long-term strategic decision-making. At the essence of this vision was an organization whose very existence and operational ethos was built on data and analytics. This is about as close as I ever got to a crystal ball. Imagine my delight and amazement when a few short years later, I had the opportunity to join a small, but growing company (Amazon.com), led by a visionary leader (Jeff Bezos) that shared this vision almost to a tee! I had found myself in the business and career analog of the “kid in the candy store”! Candidly, I thought that life could never be better – until I found myself a decade ladder in an even bigger role at Google.

During my entire professional career, I have built analytics functions and groups that operated at the core of any operation that I’ve managed. Fortunately, along the way, I have had a disproportionate share of success, but have made some mistakes as well. I’d like to share some of those key learnings along the way. This article will be mostly retrospective in nature – I’ll save the predictions for a future article.

Read More Here

Article Credit: Forbes

Go to Source

The post Building An Analytics-Centric Organization appeared first on Statii News.



source http://news.statii.co.uk/building-an-analytics-centric-organization/

No comments:

Post a Comment